Wednesday, June 4, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Not Having Fun Yet

I couldn't wait to start this pattern:

It's the Ojo de Dios Shawl from the Winter 2014 issue of Interweave Knits, and it is a stunning pattern. It uses Plymouth Yarn Company's Gina yarn to achieve a dramatic effect. I saw a finished shawl at a yarn store in New Mexico when we traveled over winter break and fell in love.

It took me a while to get my hands on the yarn. Apparently the popularity of this pattern caused a run on Gina. Because of the delay, I could have read pattern notes on Ravelry. But I didn't. I just plunged in blindly.

As you can see, you knit one triangle and then pick up stitches to add the rest, forming the lower portion of the shawl. If I had read Rav, I would have known that backwards loop is not the only way to add stitches for additional cast-on. I hate knitting the first row of backwards loop stitches! It is quite fiddley and frustrating. Now I know.

And you can see that curling is a huge problem. Some knitters on Rav were able to block the edge flat; others said it was impossible. I may end up following the example of knitters who picked up stitches along the bottom and added a border to keep it flat.

This is a lot of work. I hope it's worth it!

I hope everyone is having more fun with their WIPs. You can find out by checking with Tami Amis.

9 comments:

  1. Pretty colours. Sorry is a PITA but hopefully it blocks flat and looks beautiful at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping the finished result is worth the frustration! The colours are certainly very pretty knit up this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours are beautiful, hopefully you'll be able to remedy the curling because it looks like it's going to be a beautiful shawl by the time you're done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a beautiful color choice. I think that it will all work out in the end and be simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors are stunning! It reminds me a little of Noro, but with nicer colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That one's on my list, too! What color of Gina did you choose; it's nice. You aren't the only one that forgets to check the Rav. notes. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so complicated. Great colors, I have to agree

    ReplyDelete
  8. I contemplated that shawl myself, it is going to be a lot of work but it is going to be gorgeous when it is done.

    Good Luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks to be quite a challenging pattern but I can see why you fell in love with it . I love you colours , it will be gorgeous when you're finished !

    ReplyDelete