Wednesday, January 1, 2014

WIP: Travel Knitting


I didn't do this on purpose, but my travel knitting project embraced the colors of the desert, with its tans, browns, and purples.
The fingerless mitts pattern is actually a "recipe" by one of my favorite designers, Kristin Kapur of Through the Loops. This super-simple pattern knits up relatively quick for a fingering-weight project because you use size 3 needles. It is different from the other mitt patterns I've seen because it produces a slouchy wrist, which is very cute and comfortable. You can find the pattern here.

Appropriately, I bought the yarn on vacation a few years ago, when I found the cutest little shop in the Mission District of San Francisco. I can't find the ball band, but I do know that it is a skein of Pigeonroof Studios sock yarn. This is very yummy stuff. Silky and beautifully died.

We are back home, but I'm still working on the second mitt. I didn't accomplish as much knitting as I had anticipated because the scenery is so gorgeous in northern New Mexico. I did no car knitting whatsoever.

I can't sign off without sharing a photo of Taos Pueblo, where people have lived continuously for more than 1,000 years. People still inhabit these adobe pueblos without electricity or running water. This is a holy site to the Pueblo people and it was magical to walk these grounds.

 As a midwesterner, I can't get enough view of the mountains!

3 comments:

  1. Mountains are pretty special, aren't they? I get a lot of re-charged energy after a visit :)

    the colours of that sock yarn are spectacular - they are going to be a lovely reminder of your trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those photos!!! Lovely and thanks for sharing them. Love the colors in your knitting, so cheerful and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fabulous trip! So pretty that you didn't do any car knitting?!? Wow! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete